Ole Gunnar Solskjaer breaks silence on Manchester United European Super League plans

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer refused to offer clarity on plans for a European Super League that Manchester United are driving, along with other renowned clubs.

Multiple stories have reported that United, Liverpool and Arsenal - the three Premier League clubs with American owners - as well as esteemed European clubs, have agreed to form a breakaway league. Chelsea, Manchester City and Tottenham have also reputedly signed up for the super league.

It has been suggested the Real Madrid president Florentino Perez would be chairman of the Super League and Joel Glazer, joint owner of United with his siblings, would be one of four vice-chairmen along with Liverpool owner John W Henry, Arsenal owner Stan Kroenke, and Juventus president Andrea Agnelli.

The plans have been condemned by Uefa, the Premier League, the Football Association, and other national associations, and have angered numerous football figures. The UK government has also expressed concerns via the culture, media and sport secretary Oliver Dowden.

United have failed to respond to requests for comment and the executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward was not in attendance for the 3-1 win over Burnley on Sunday aternoon, nor was the club's director of communications.

"I am dealing with the news this afternoon, the speculation." Solskjaer said. "I don’t think it is for me to comment on now. We just have to wait and see what happens.

"As I have said, I have seen the speculation or news this afternoon. I can’t comment. It is an issue for the clubs to comment on."

Solskjaer had earlier told Sky Sports: "I've seen this morning the news about the speculation, so I can't really say too much. My focus has been on this game.

"I haven't looked into [the details], I've just been focusing on this game. I need to sit down and see what it is. I've not seen any, I don't know all the ins and outs, I need to find out and then the clubs can issue a comment."

Uefa and the Premier League have warned English clubs that sign up for the European Super League could be forbidden from playing in the Premier League.

In a statement, the Premier League said a European Super League would 'destroy' the English and European football pyramids.

The statement said: "The Premier League condemns any proposal that attacks the principles of open competition and sporting merit which are at the heart of the domestic and European football pyramid.

"Fans of any club in England and across Europe can currently dream that their team may climb to the top and play against the best. We believe that the concept of a European Super League would destroy this dream.

"The Premier League is proud to run a competitive and compelling football competition that has made it the most widely watched league in the world. Our success has enabled us to make an unrivalled financial contribution to the domestic football pyramid.

"A European Super League will undermine the appeal of the whole game, and have a deeply damaging impact on the immediate and future prospects of the Premier League and its member clubs, and all those in football who rely on our funding and solidarity to prosper.

"We will work with fans, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA, as well as other stakeholders, at home and abroad, to defend the integrity and future prospects of English football in the best interests of the game."

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post